We are a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) based in Cochabamba, Bolivia and founded in 2006. Our objective is to promote and defend the rights of infants, children, adolescents, senior citizens and other vulnerable social groups living in exclusion and poverty, in some of the poorest communities in Latin America.
We work in communities on the outskirts of the city of Cochabamba, Bolivia. Cochabamba is a rapidly growing city and the new immigrants to the city tend to establish, either legally or illegally, communities on the edge of the city.
The “favela” style homes in these new neighborhood lack basic facilities such as water, and electricity. The people living in there are usually from very poor backgrounds and have come seeking work.Many of the adults are illiterate and work long hours for low wages.
The children su?er from a lack of attention and of positive role models as their families are unable to assist with their formal education. Children and adolescents are often required to work and many are left to fend for themselves or are expected to care for younger siblings. These children are at risk of becoming victims of physical, psychological and sexual abuse and human trafficking. They lack support to escape the poverty trap.
Through educational and social assistance programs, we promote better living conditions and create more opportunities for advancement for people, particularly young people, living in poor or marginal conditions. To augment the existing system, we provide integrated educational assistance to pre-school children and children of school age, and run other projects that benefit their families, their community and the environment in which they live.
WHAT WE DO:
- We provide a safe place where the children can participate in social, creative and educational games and need materials to help stimulate and entertain the kids.
- We build the self-confidence and communication skills of the children by encouraging them in a fun way to speak English and are always looking for interesting ways to inspire the kids to learn.
- We aim to help increase the self-esteem of young people by using sport as a tool to teach the values of commitment, respect, discipline, responsibility and working in a team.
- We run projects which captivate, entertain and inspire the children and at the same time reinforce the core values that underlay all our work. We uncover and develop talents for art, music, acting, dancing, etc. that may otherwise lay dormant .
- We try to improve the immediate situation for the kids and educate them so they can better look after their own health. We buy drinking water, fruit and healthy snacks for each kid every day. We
also provide facilities, soap and water so each child can wash their hands before eating as well as
toothbrush and toothpaste.
We provide formal and informal education to children aged 2 to 17 years old every day from Monday to Friday. As a volunteer you can work and focus on one of the following areas:
- Support the Playroom Project with children of less than 7 years old
- Help the children of primary and secondary with homework
- Help with sport in the Program Football/Sports and Values
- Help with projects in Arts and Values (music, theater, dance, painting, circus arts, etc.)
- Support the Program “We speak English“
- Help with special science projects.
We simply ask that volunteers come with an open mind and flexible attitude! Becoming involved is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in International Development, Non-Profit Management, Social Change, Education and the Humanitarian field.
THE FEE INCLUDES:
- Pick up from Cochabamba airport
- Breakfast and lunch on weekdays
- Training for volunteer position
- Wi-Fi in the house
- Transport to and from the projects
- 24/7 emergency service
- Certificate of participation in the NGO
- Contribution to projects (including mini-grant of $50 per month),
- Phone and local SIM card 10 bolivianos credit (in case of loss, you would be charged
- Airline tickets, visa costs, airport charges or vaccinations
- Local transport in free time
- Personal expenses and cultural activities
- Products for personal cleaning (soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Package tours (individual/group)
- Telephone and calling costs
- Food on weekends
Minimum Stay: 1 month
Program availability: all year round